3 Easy Strategies to Invoke "CALM' at Your Desk
Oct 01, 2021
Stress is E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E…it’s in the small details that get under your skin like traffic, challenging customers, long lines, and misbehaving children.
We feel stress in bigger events that burden us like a move, unemployment, work demands, remote work, and politics.
Don’t forget life changing events like the pandemic, accidents, illnesses, deaths, divorce, and breakups.
Daily micro-assaults from stress that chip away at our resiliency armor add up and the effects are cumulative.
Yes, these are the intricate details of LIFE….the question is, how do you manage stress at work and invoke a sense of calm when needed?
We believe a calm mind is a creative, productive, and resilient mind. When given the right tools and techniques to practice mindfulness- both at home and at work- we can prevent physical and emotional illnesses associated with chronic stress.
Try these quick and effective strategies to create a sense of calm at your desk.
- Keep your work area clean and organized.
- Mess equals stress. It’s true, whatever chaos is happening on your desk, is also happening in your mind. Keep a clean and decluttered work area for “clean thinking” and focus.
- Remove your “to-dos”, “must haves”, lists and notes from your desk to stay clutter-free. A fantastic online option is https://app.milanote.com/1MvKAl1cVFxv8m/home - if you are sticky note obsessed [like us], you are going to love this!
- Limit distractions by turning off notifications and alerts on your desktop AND phone while you are working
- Purge old everything- business contacts, files, lists
- Add a “CALM” plan of action your workday.
Create a personal toolkit with items that invoke a sense of calm.
- Play soft music
- Diffuse a relaxing essential oil
- Take a stretch work break
- Go for a 5–10-minute walk
- Drink water [at least ½ of your body weight in fluid ounces] with a visually beautiful bottle- like this one…
Why not gift your favorite desk jockeys some additional items to bring in the AAAHHHH.....at work.
- Create an optimal work environment.
- Set up your workspace to be ergonomically healthy including your desk and chair [feet flat on the floor, shoulders under ears, arms and hips at a 90-degree angle while working at the computer]
- Set up your computer position [eye gaze at top of monitor and computer and keyboard in the center of your desk]
- Turn off harsh fluorescent lights and replace with softer or natural lighting [blue filter glasses can help]
- Add a plant to your workspace to freshen stagnant air, connect you to nature and absorb excess electrical energy- studies show we are less stressed when we have “greens” in our work area
Join our [email protected] movement and help inspire the evolution of creating small, “WORKable” habits for a healthy, happy and productive life...for the health of it!